The Hospital Experience


This is the second part of the Impact Statement that my mom read out in court.

The Hospital Experience

The Police wanted Cayly to be treated at Dora Nginza Rape unit but my husband insisted that our daughter be taken to a private hospital for medical treatment. Upon arrival at St George’s trauma unit, we were informed that we needed to go to Greenacres Hospital as they have a Rape Trauma unit. Both sets of parents met up at the hospital. It was awful to see her boyfriend’s anguish as Cayly was taken away for treatment. Both youngsters were given tranquillisers. We were very grateful for the Flying Squad who fetched the rape kit from Dora Nginza and brought it to Greenacres.

Whilst waiting for the rape kit to arrive, Cayly and I held hands and prayed together. She chose to forgive her rapists right there. I do believe that this has played a major role in her healing and ability to move forward. I was in awe of her courage and strength and willingness to take this step just hours after being emotionally abused and repeatedly raped. Having skirmished closely with death, she was so incredibly grateful to be alive.

The Rape medical examination was a trauma in itself. Cayly had already endured so much pain that night and she still had to be vulnerable and naked before more strangers and endure even more pain. The procedure seemed so strict and clinical and precise to meet police and legal requirements and not very comforting to someone already so distressed. As her mother it was dreadful to see her in so much discomfort.

I was upset that they seemed more concerned about the police/legal procedural protocol than her discomfort. Her bladder was distended and she wasn’t allowed to empty it. It bothered me then but now I know the reason! Vital DNA evidence would have been lost! It was distressing to see so much sand and blood on the sheets when they were finished with her. I was shocked at the amount of sand and fine foliage caught up in her long hair.

Our older daughter went home and carefully chose comfortable clothes for Cayly to change into after she was permitted to have a shower. We soon realised that it was going to take several showers to remove all the sand and stuff from her hair.

We arrived home at about 4.45 the following morning. Arriving at home, everything seemed familiar, yet everything had changed. My husband and I were exhausted but hardly slept. Our safety was a concern as the hijackers knew the home addresses of both families concerned. We stepped up security and were highly vigilant (and still are).

The next post is returning to the crime scene.