Happy Valentine’s to you wherever you are in the world. Whether you are in a relationship or single, I hope you show yourself love. I recently read a quote about self-love by Case Kenny that was worth sharing.
“It’s crazy how giving yourself the same love you always give others can change every area of your life.”
Valentine’s Day is usually associated with everything pink, red, and heart-shaped. While these things are cute, you can try something different from the usual heart-shaped cookies. Instead, you can indulge in Ástarpungar, which are Icelandic delicacies similar to doughnuts. These love balls from The Nordic Baking Book by Magnus Nilsson are perfect for a delightful twist on traditional Valentine’s treats.
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp Ground cardamom seeds
3/4 cup of raisins
Oil for frying
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until light, white and frothy.
- In a separate bowl, combine and mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the other wet ingredients, leaving the add in the egg/sugar mix for last and combine gently.
- Make small balls using teaspoons or an ice cream scoop and add vegetable oil to a frying pan. (180°c / 356°F).
- Fry for a couple of minutes or until golden brown.
If you want to buy a copy of The Nordic Baking Book by Magnus Nilsson, here is the Amazon link.